Thursday, February 01, 2007

LDAP and thunderbird

I've always hankered after a central db for contacts. I just hate that going from machine to machine means that I can't have a list of people I email regularly and when a system re-install happens, all that data is lost - it's a pain the proverbial.

I decided that I'd give an LDAP installation a try. Why not install an LDAP server on my local webserver and point all my email clients to that? Hmmm...

UbuntuForums
Linux.com
sudo apt-get install slapd ldap-utils
sudo apt-get install db4.2-util
sudo /etc/init.d/slapd restart
You shouldn't have any errors - if you do... stop and pull your hair out (life shouldn't be this tough).

phpLDAPadmin is a web-based GUI for performing LDAP maintenance.

Well, in the end... after several attempts at setting it up, I finally got some data IN... only to find that I couldn't see it in TBird or Evolution. I need to try this again at some other point in the future. Maybe future Ubuntu releases will make this a trivial task! We can only hope so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What problems did you run into? I can help out if you tell me the errors.

--Dave

(P.S. I wrote phpLDAPadmin originall a few years back)