Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ubuntu 6.06 64AMD

I've just finished building my new AMD64 machine and the latest version of Ubuntu is being installed as a type (on my old machine). I anticipate to run into the usual problems but I think I have solutions to the expected ones already.

Graphics
- I have an nVidia 6600 dual-head graphics card and it never works out of the box. My xorg.conf will doubtless need some tweaking to get it working.

PHP - as a developer of http://www.carrubbers.org/ I have the requirement of having php compiled with dbase. There isn't a nice .deb package to allow me to do a simple apt-get install.

Zend
- I had Zend Studio and Server setup on my old machine and I remember a rather tedious process of getting them to play with each other.

Firefox
- from reading other posts, it looks like flash and realaudio won't work in a firefox implementation under AMD64.

I'll post how I get on.

No comments: