Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Plesk and spam

I have been having problems with spam on my hosted server running Plesk. I had shelled out the extra cash for the psa-spamassassin addon, thinking that it would make my life easier. Trouble was that the spamassassin implementation was neither easy to manage or all that sensitive.

After reading around, I realised I needed to add some rules and did so using RulesDuJour. Things improved, but I ended up adding too many rule sets and killing the CPU. Excess rules were removed from /etc/spamassassin and the list was pruned.
#!/bin/bash# Version 1.21
# IMPORTANT! Edit the TRUSTED_RULESETS line to choose yourRuleSets
TRUSTED_RULESETS="
SARE_CODING
SARE_HEADER
SARE_SPECIFIC
EVILNUMBERS
SARE_ADULT
SARE_BML
SARE_FRAUD
SARE_SPOOF
SARE_STOCKS
SARE_OEM
SARE_OBFU
SARE_RANDOM
SARE_GENLSUBJ
SARE_REDIRECT
SARE_UNSUB";
SA_DIR="/etc/mail/spamassassin";
MAIL_ADDRESS="support@humblehosting.co.uk";
SINGLE_EMAIL_ONLY="true";
SA_LINT="spamassassin --lint";
SA_RESTART="/etc/init.d/psa-spamassassin";
WGET="wget -N";
PERL="perl";
MAILCMD="mail";
GREP="grep";
RULES_DU_JOUR_SCRIPT="/usr/local/sbin/rules_du_jour";
#### End Local Settings ####

I was still irritated by the difficultly of easily managing the spam settings of individual accounts using the Plesk plugin and turned to 4psa who offter a separate spamassassin implementation (Spam Guardian) which has far superior administration on an admin/client and per-domain basis.

Now everything is setup and working well with great administration and some stats too.

No comments: